The Senior Development & Construction Manager manages all phases of solar development and construction projects including preliminary design and production modeling, EPC selection, project due diligence, permitting, EPC agreement negotiation, pre-construction activities, construction management, and commissioning. Projects are located throughout the U.S., with a primary focus in Colorado, California, and Hawaii, some of which may require occasional travel. The Senior Development & Construction Manager manages a dedicated team of Development and Construction Managers and works with financial analysts and business development personnel to evaluate development feasibility of potential projects, and drives projects through the development and construction process to commercial operation. This position is responsible for ensuring management and execution of key construction activities such as budgeting, scheduling, due diligence, permitting, consultant and contractor selection, construction management, and project engineering, as well as day-to-day activities with engineers, contractors, utilities, governmental agencies, and/or community groups.
- Manages development and construction management activites for Unico Solar Investors, including direct management of Development and Construction Managers.
- Lead project team selection process of design, EPC, and other professional services firms. Selection activities include creating RFPs, interviewing and selecting candidates, and negotiating contracts.
- Manage environmental assessments, land use issues, and entitlement issues.
- Manage the interconnection study and approval process.
- Prepare and manage project schedules, budgets and all construction activities to ensure timely completion within budgetary guidelines.
- Manage project budgets and cash flow to ensure that pro forma and budget plans are met.
- Review construction documents for scope, phasing, constructability, and completeness so as to eliminate unforeseen changes and increased costs.
- Manage project to ensure quality control of all project work, including site visits, periodic contactor meetings and oversight of all construction draw requests.
- Manage the construction team and consultants to facilitate successful project completion and achievement of project goals.
- Prepare project presentations and reports.
- Assembles attachments to support creation of solar development agreements between Unico and partners or equity participants; or attachments for contracts with third-party commercial, industrial, and/or municipal customers.
- Provide leadership and team support, supervise development and construction managers and other staff.
- Excellent project management, people management, and construction administration skills.
- Experience negotiating, preparing and documenting solar energy contracts.
- Ability to read and understand construction documents, specifically electrical one-line diagrams, racking plans, and solar array site plans.
- Experience preparing and managing construction budgets.
- Excellent written skills to compose general correspondence and reports.
- Working knowledge of space layout and design, construction drawings, estimating and value engineering.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and Project.
- Proficiency in development and reading Gantt charts.
- Superior organizational, analytical and logistical skills.
- A proven concern for detail and timely follow through.
- Ability to balance and prioritize multiple projects.
- Excellent customer relation skills and ability to interact with the general public.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and good negotiation skills.
- Ability to analyze moderately complex administrative details, such as planning, scheduling, assembling reports, and displaying data.
- Ability to research and solve problems.
- Bachelor’s degree in construction management or other similar work.
- Seven to ten years in commercial solar construction management and installation.
- A minimum of five years experience working in a solar engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) environment.
- PMP certification preferred.
- NABCEP certification preferred.
- Experience managing employees required.
Physical Demands / Work Environment
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to: work at a stationary work space for long periods of time, with mobility to move throughout the office; use a PC, constantly reaching with hands and fingers and keyboarding extensively; work in close contact with small and large groups as frequent communication with others is required, including use of the telephone; be able to read and write documents in hard and electronic copy, including those requiring great attention to detail; have the physical strength and agility to handle routine office tasks and machinery. Occasional travel may be required for certain employees depending on location.
This position is in a standard office environment with desktop business equipment and frequent telephone calls. Noise level is moderate. Frequent interruptions are common, while under deadlines and time constraints.
Unico Properties LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All candidates will receive consideration without regard to disability, protected veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable local, state, or federal law.