Post Date: June 1, 2018
Job Title: Commercial Solar Engineer
Location: Denver, CO
To Apply: You can apply online here
This position is responsible for developing high-quality and cost-effective designs of large-scale (500+ kW) solar electric (photovoltaic) systems. This includes supporting and working with project developers, project managers, construction supervisors, and operation and maintenance personnel. This position also involves interactions with outside engineering consultants, equipment suppliers, subcontractors, and local building officials.
This is an opportunity to become a part of an exciting and fun-loving team, working in one of the best industries, and with ample opportunity for growth. Microgrid has offices in Denver, Chicago and St. Louis with plans for future expansion. This position is for our Denver office, but we would also consider qualified candidates in Chicago or St. Louis.
- Development Support
- Attend site qualification visits to collect information required to develop preliminary design, output, and cost estimations with the ultimate goal of making a project sale.
- Develop preliminary project designs; including array layout, rack design and attachment/foundation, equipment selection, and interconnection design.
- Create CAD drawings.
- Develop output (kWh) and environmental estimates
- Provide support to Project Development and RFP response teams.
- Operations (Project) Support
- Develop final structural and electrical designs that meet all national, state, and local code requirements as well as customer defined requirements.
- Create professional construction drawings showing the structural, electrical, and site plans.
- Assist in the submission of drawings to the appropriate agency in order to obtain the necessary permits to allow for construction to commence.
- Develop a bill of materials (BOM) for each project based on the final approved design and support the procurement process.
- Provide technical input to support the interconnection application and utility approval process.
- Provide support during the inspections and commissioning of the system installations.
- Provide an approved and stamped set of as-built drawings for each completed project.
- Provide troubleshooting support to our installers and to our clients (post-installation).
The individual filling this position would ideally have the following skills and experience. Applicants that lack some of the requirements below may still be considered on a case-by-case basis depending on their qualification in key areas. A P.E. license in one of the states where the company installs projects is considered a bonus qualification.
- Knowledge, skills & abilities
- Good knowledge of photovoltaic system design, various interconnection methods, and structural design.
- Strong organizational skills to manage the activities required in the design and permitting of large-scale solar electric systems.
- Working knowledge of PVSYST software.
- Strong communication skills and ability to work with others inside and outside of the company.
- Minimum educational level
- A Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, or Structural Engineering from a 4-year college or university is preferred.
- NABCEP certification is a plus.
- Minimum experience
- Preferred four (4) years experience performing design and drawing activities with a solar electric installation company or a minimum of four (4) years experience performing design and drawing activities with an engineering company.
- A minimum of four (4) year of experience drawing with AutoCAD.
Compensation & Benefits
Microgrid is a triple-bottom-line company that seeks to balance the three bottom lines of People, Planet and Profit. Microgrid has an outstanding benefits package that gets better every year. Upon completing the probationary period, the qualified candidate can expect enrollment in Microgrid’s health insurance, 401(k) plan, four weeks of paid vacation, and other outstanding benefits.
Salary to be determined in accordance with level of experience.